Who to Contact

From time to time, as your child progresses through School, it may be necessary to raise a concern or question.

The list below should assist you in knowing who to contact with your concern or question.

Short absences

  • Telephone the school in the morning by 9:00am on
    8882 0707
  • Advise the Homeroom Teacher, by letter, within three days of the beginning of the absence.
  • A medical certificate is required for absences of more than 3 days.

Absences longer than 1 week

  • Illness
    Telephone the school and send a letter to the Stage Coordinator.
  • Extended /planned absence
    Send a letter and application for exemption from attendance to the Principal, giving at least 2 weeks notice.

Academic Progress

  • Subject Teacher
  • Learning Support Teacher
  • Assistant Principal - Learning Transformation

Assessment Tasks & Examinations

  • Assistant Principal - Learning Transformation


Depending on the nature and severity:

  • Homeroom Teacher/Subject Teacher/Assistant Stage Coordinator
  • Leader of Learning
  • Counsellor
  • Assistant Principal - School Culture
  • Principal


Depending on the nature and seriousness of the complaint

  • Leader of Learning (pastoral / general issues)
  • Head of Learning (curriculum issues)
  • Assistant Principal
  • Principal

Personal, Family & Pastoral Care Matters

  • Homeroom Teacher
  • Family Liaison Officer
  • Counsellor
  • Assistant Principal - School Culture
  • Principal

Discipline Matters

  • Head of Learning (subject matters)
  • Leader of Learning (general matters)
  • Assistant Principal 
  • Principal

Lost Property

  • Student Administration Office

Finance (Fees)

  • Business Manager or School Fee Secretary


  • Leader of Learning (management)
  • Uniform Shop Manager (purchasing)